Saturday, April 23, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal #14

In my life this week…
It was a very long week. Dr. Lazy Palate was out of country this week, so it has been just me and the kids. Two tornados touched down by our house this week, and a water pipe starting leaking all over our homeschooling room. I still have to clean up the house for Easter and work on cooking some food for Easter. We did lots of Easter projects this week which was a lot of fun. Our trip to pick up a half a pig was cancelled because of Good Friday. The farmers market had a special pre-Easter market today. We got celery for $2, green onions for $2, garlic onions for free, 5 lbs of honey for $18, and two cookies for the kids. It was a lovely day with lots of sun shining. My garden is coming along. The second set of snap peas has come up along with the Swiss chard.
In our homeschool this week…
We started listening to a book on tape; we are listening to Anne of Green Gables.  I am trying to slowly work on Little BBQ’s listening attention span; so far it has not gone over too well. I am finding the story enchanting, but Little BBQ does not want to listen, so we are still on chapter 2. Little BBQ is reading to me The Giant Jelly Bean Jar by Marcie Aboff. All of the words in the book are at his reading level, but the book is long at 32 pages with lots of words per page, so it is taking him awhile to read the book to me. We also read Commotion in the Ocean and made a wall of sea creatures. Due to all the rain this week, we were unable to be outside as much as we would have liked. To compensate we did a lot of Easter crafts from egg shell art, cascarones, molded crayons, and shaving cream art. It was a lot of fun.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
On Wednesday we went and visited one of our friends whom also homeschool. Little BBQ lost his pocket watch at their house a while back and they found it so that was an unexpected treat. It was nice to talk to another homeschooling mom who has been doing this for many years what curriculum she enjoyed and which ones she would have passed on in retrospect. I also enjoy getting her perspective on things.
My favorite thing this week was…
I think our favorite thing this week was making the cascarones. This year was the first year that Little BBQ was actually into dying eggs. In the past, he did not get into the activity too much, so this was an unexpected pleasure. We are going to dye some hard boiled eggs tonight so Dr. Lazy Palate can be there share the experience, and we will read the Easter book that we checked out at the library.
What’s working/not working for us…
I am not sure if the book on tape is working for us. I do not know if Little BBQ has the maturity yet to listen to a book on tape. I have heard of other kids his age loving books on tape, but I think Little BBQ might be far too active for this activity. I am going to give it a little more time and see how he responds.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
Does your child enjoy books on tape? At what age did you child start to enjoy books on tape?
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...