Saturday, May 14, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal #17

In my life this week…
We had a lot of fun. We had 2 fires outside which both kids loved. Little BBQ climbed his first tree. We made pork broth to pressure can for later. I made gumbo for the first time with homemade sausage. I had my first garden harvest of some greens, and Miss Bubbles picked me some pretty flowers. Miss Bubbles is saying words like, “ball,” “more,” “thank you,” and “pizza.”
In our homeschool this week…

We made an abacus to learn addition. I love the visual method of an abacus. Little BBQ seems to be picking up counting with abacus quickly, so we are going to attempt addition with the abacus this week. We also found out that Little BBQ will be allowed to join the swim team this summer even though he is technically 6 months too young to join. He has been lap swimming since age 2 with me, so I am excited that he can finally practice with some kids closer to his age.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We went to Lake Michigan for mother’s day. It was wonderful. The beach was not too crowded yet, and we climbed on top of some sand dunes. We ate an excellent Italian restaurant. The rest of the week we stayed close to home to relax and enjoy the sunshine. Today we went to the farmers market where we got purple asparagus for $3.00, apple mint for $1.00, bok choy for $2.00, green asparagus for $3.00, raw milk for $4.00, and chocolate milk for $8.00.
My favorite thing this week was…
Mother’s day! It was a fun day. My family had been itching to go to the beach since we used to go for the day in April before spring break when we lived on the east coast, but the Midwest does not have any salt water beaches, and April was cold. It would have been nice to be able to spend more time in the water, but it was still a blast and the bugs were not out in full force yet.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
I am in full planning mode for next year. We are taking a tour of the United States! We will be studying each state in depth. Since Little BBQ wants to be a chef, we will be making a recipe from each state that will be showcased on my cooking blog. I would like to know, is there anything unique that your state is known for or any unique recipes?
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
The flowers Miss Bubbles picked for me.
The Homeschool Mother's Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...