Friday, March 11, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal- 8

This is my first week participating in this blog event. I like the journal style of the event. I think it is a great way to document the little things going on in our lives right now.

In my life this week...
We got a lot accomplished. We visited our friend’s farm and let our kids play together. We enjoyed a king cake together. On Wednesday we went to the library and checked out lots of new books to read. On Thursday we cleaned up the house, and I even vacuumed the stairs. We placed our seed order for our garden this year. It looks like we will be growing peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, mixed greens, carrots, rutabaga, parsnips, and some herbs.
In our homeschool this week...
We were productive in reading, but Little BBQ is on a math strike. Instead of pushing hard I decided to back off and revisit the topic next week. Maybe he just needs some time off from math especially since he is only in preschool. Miss Bubbles, our infant, loves books. This week she started saying, “read it.” She loves a Winnie the Pooh book and a soft cloth book on kitties.
Places we're going and people we're seeing...
This week we went to our friend’s farm. Thankfully it didn’t rain that day, so it was nice to drive on the unfamiliar country roads on a nice day verses a rainy day.  We enjoyed some ground beef and potatoes grown on the farm, and I brought a king cake to celebrate mardi gras. Miss Bubbles got to pet a dog. She liked to touch the dog, but she did not like the dog to sniff her back. Little BBQ got to see a horse, goats, chickens, and some cows.
My favorite thing this week was...
My favorite thing this week was visiting our friend’s farm. I got some much needed socialization. I enjoyed teaching one of the older boys about photography and using natural light.
What's working/not working for us...
Reading and doing an activity right afterwards seems to be working really well for Little BBQ. He has the attention span to sit through one story, but he loses interest if you try to read him several books at once like they do at the library story time. We can read multiple books in day this way. I need to stop saying, “let’s do math.” If I say these words, then I hear a resounding “Noooooooooooooo!” I think I am going to go back and revisit the book Math Arts because Little BBQ seems to be responding well to this type of instruction.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I am really enjoying homeschooling. I am glad that I get the opportunity to teach my children and watch them grow intellectually.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
My king cake recipe that I made this week. The photo was staged and taken by Andrew, a homeschooling student interested in photography.
A link to a free 3 month trial of homeschooling legal defense association (expires March 31st) that one of my friend’s sent to me.

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...