Friday, April 8, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal #12

In my life this week…
It was a fun week, but I wish we had a little better weather. Wednesday was beautiful and we spent the day outside in the garden, but it was cold or rainy every other day this week. This week we built a new garden plot and planted carrots (5 types), rutabaga, peas (4 types), mixed greens, Asian greens, swiss chard, and spinach. I am anxiously waiting for my plants to grow. I finished reading, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs.  The book was a quick read. It was all right. I did not know what I was expecting, so I went into it with an open mind. The quest was a little odd. I guess I failed to see how spiritual enlightenment could occur just by following a series of outdate rituals.    
In our homeschool this week…
We made a zither which is a musical instrument. It was a fun little project for Little BBQ. We also learned about diffusion with Chinese Tea Eggs which was a lot of fun. We took our time and smelled every ingredient before we put it into the pot. We watched as the mixture heated up and bubbles started to form. We watched the egg transform from all white to pale brown and then dark brown. Then we got a great tasting treat in the end. We also started reading You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You which breaks Aesop’s fables into two speaking voices. I take one voice and Little BBQ takes the other. Little BBQ has been struggling with lying this week. He lied to us about taking pretzels into the living room (we do not allow food outside of the kitchen) and one of Aesop’s fables is about the boy who cried wolf. Little BBQ does not seem to understand what is wrong with lying. He knows that he will get in trouble for taking the pretzels in the living room, so he just tells us that it wasn’t him. Thankfully, he isn’t trying to blame someone else or his little sister for taking the pretzels into the living room.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We stayed close to home this week. We enjoyed every second we could outside. Little BBQ got to play with the neighbor girl, and Miss Bubbles crashed in on our neighbor’s bon fire. It was a good week.
My favorite thing this week was…
I really enjoyed making and planting our garden, but I also really enjoyed making the Chinese tea eggs. I cannot decide which item I enjoyed more.
What’s working/not working for us…
Hands on projects are working well for us. Little BBQ enjoys doing projects, and I enjoy the bonding time that I get with him from helping him make projects.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
I really enjoy homeschooling. I am in the midst of researching math curriculum. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am currently leaning towards the Singapore curriculum.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Here is a photo of our Chinese tea eggs which we a blast to make.


The Homeschool Mother's Journal

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Chinese Tea Eggs before - I will have to check that out. As far as math goes, we've used Math-u-See for years and absolutely love it!!!

    I'll be praying for you and little BBQ. Lying can be a tough nut to crack!

    Have a great week!

    I'm now following you via GFC :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I came across to your blog because I just had to check out the eggs - they look really interesting. Can't say I would want to taste them though :)

    Your garden sounds fantastic. We would love to have a vege garden, but we are only renting and don't have anywhere to plant.

    Lying is a tough one. I used to be a Primary teacher and when I was teaching year one, one of the little boys drew all over his desk with red crayon. I caught him doing this while the red crayon was still in his hand. I asked him how it got on his desk. He told me that his Dad had come into the school during the night and drawn all over the desk :) Rather inventive I thought and definitely provided me with a funny mental picture :). Good luck on your journey to telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth with your little BBQ

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. THat looks like a wonderful week. I need to get that book.

    Have a great weekend
    Renita
    www.krazykuehnerdays.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...